Tuesday, June 14, 2011

HP Envy 17 3D Problems....

In March, I used some of my tax return to replace my thinkpad W510 Notebook with an HP Envy 17 3D unit and a 3 Year Extended Warranty with Accidental Protection Insurance.  The money I spent will ensure that this notebook, if treated with care will live for at least 3 years.  The main reason for the upgrade was for a larger screen and better video card, the 3D was just an added gimmick.  Or so I thought at the time.

Then I played World Of Warcraft Cataclysm in 3D and I was hooked.  The only problem is the notebook would get too hot to use the keyboard.  It was uncomfortable to touch.  So this went on for the last few months as I tried everything short of building a liquid cooling system for it.  I read Tech Forum after forum with a growing dread because this seemed like it was a common problem and that the right cooling pan helped a little.  So, in desperation I decided to call HP Support and there was really nothing the first level help desk could suggest that I had not already done, so they recommended I send it in for repair.  Keep in mind that numerous other people had already tried this to no avail, so I asked for a supervisor.  Since I have the CarePack mentioned above, my supervisor is here in the US and is a Customer Service Representative and not technical.  So as I explained the problem in detail to him and also explained how I had read in numerous technical forums that this problem was seemingly common, his response was along the lines of you cant believe everything you read in a forum.  I then replied "This is true, but when they are A+ and Microsoft Certified then I tend to believe they have credibility."  So he told me the only option was to send the unit in for repair, and I agreed so he sent me a box via FedEx.

No comments:

Post a Comment