Tuesday, June 14, 2011

HP Envy 17 3D - The New Unit Arrives

So HP finally came through today and sent the correct unit.  I have boxed the other two up and unboxed this one.  Although it looks identical, the Out Of Box Experience (OOBE) is different and the software load is different.  Windows Update took forever and required too many reboots to count.  After all of the updates, the unit is experiencing weird issues and the USB 3 port isn't working properly.  After talking to Lloyd, I have agreed to reset the Notebook back to the OOBE and start over.

The first attempt, the USB 3 port functioned fine on booting up the first time.  I then installed all Windows Updates which broke the USB 3 port.  Upon searching I found an updated driver that resolved the problem.  After all of the HP and Windows Updates were installed, I started to install WoW and the unit would lockup while downloading.  Rebooting and restarting WoW created the same results.  So, back to the OOBE.

The second attempt I didn't install any updates and immediately tried to install WoW and once again it would hang randomly.  So I uninstalled WoW and redownloaded the downloader and everything seemed to work fine.  But launching the game causes random lockups.  So yesteday I called and left a message for Lloyd.  Someone else from the team called me to let me know he was off yesterday, Monday the 13 June 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment